Sunday, January 14, 2007

Some Kind of Crab

©2007Kristen S. Boyesen

I spent an afternoon at Honeymoon Island State Park, walking the nature trails and along the beach collecting shells for drawing class. While on the Pelican Cove Trail I could see leftward movement on the path ahead, as if a low wind were intermittently blowing and rolling pebbles along the ground. As I drew near, I could see that the moving objects were very small crabs. By the time I got to their house holes in the sand, they had all disappeared!

So, I waited, hardly breathing. I had thought that they were sensing my presence by footfall vibrations alone, but when one cautiously popped out and I moved to position the camera, back in the hole he went!

I have a Minolta zoom camera, an old one using film because my digital was removed from my possessions by a troubled youth who will eventually return the camera and set the course of his life in a positive direction. (This is my prayer of Light for him.)

I aimed at one of the small holes in the ground and waited some more. My patience rewarded me with three photos, all in focus. If this seems a bit blurry, it is because I scanned a one inch square of the original photo into Photoshop at 2000 resolution, then changed the size to 6x7 at 72.

Can anyone identify it? I have not had a chance to look it up in the Audubon Florida book.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tim Hodgens said...

Kristen: Reading your posting reminded me of a time I was walking on a very overcast day on a path around a part of the Quabbin Reservoir here in Massachusetts. The area has many many deer all around. (I susect they know that it is an area where hunting is prohibited.)

I was just walking around and saw some white tail deer running. I walked on, and saw some more. Then I tried to walk very quietly and took my time, etc., and lo and behold I felt their hoof steps through my shoes.

It was an unexpected and delightful discovery for me. And I suspect I had also discovered how they were recognizing my approach.

Tim

7:33 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Wow. I'll bet you felt really connected to nature and the earth. What a great experience. Thanks for sharing.

7:40 PM  
Blogger R.Powers said...

He's a male fiddler crab. The males have one large claw that they wave at females, who have two small claws.
That's a beautiful shot.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Thank you! I sure had to be patient, and hope the auto-focus worked.

I finally did check my Florida book, and sure enough, there was a photo of a "Sand Fiddler", 1 1/4", which looked like my guy.

Thanks for visiting! I will be back to see you, too.

11:33 PM  
Blogger TedMcDermand said...

Hi, Great photos. I live in Pensacola and admire crabs, their
speed and sideways movements are amazing. They must have excellent
vision since I have seen them duck
quickly into their burrows and have a gull fly overhead afew seconds later. Peace, groundhogger

2:19 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Hi Ted! (groundhogger),

Thanks for visiting and sharing more on the habits of crabs. :)

I visited your blog and immediately added it to my list. Wonderful art and poetry!

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Snappy's Gardens Blog
  • ***Yorkshire, UK

  • Taoist Poet